Neck pain is a very common health problem and it can occur in any part of your neck including bones, ligaments, muscles, tendons, joints, or nerves. Pain may also come from your upper arms, head, jaw, or shoulder. Muscle strain or tension is the common cause of neck pain. Most of the neck problems occur due to prolonged sitting in front of a computer, overdoing it during exercises or sleeping in an awkward position. Accidents or falls including car accidents are the other common cause of neck pain. Nonspecific neck pain is common type. It is also called mechanical or simple neck pain. Minor sprains or strains to ligaments or muscles are the common cause. Some of the common neck problems are:
- Acute torticollis
- Wear and tear or Degeneration
- Cervical radiculopathy
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Bone disorders
- Injuries in vertebrae, nerves or spinal cord
ENT doctor in Singapore can assess and examine your neck and determine the cause of the problem. If it is due to serious cause, ENT specialist in Singapore can determine it from sort of symptoms, which include:
- Neck pain develops due to other problems such as cancer, AIDS, arthritis
- Pain becomes progressively worse
- If the pain affects some functions of your arm (clumsiness or weakness of an arm or hand or persistent loss of feeling)
- If you feel some general symptoms such as high temperature or weight loss
- Develop any problems with passing urine or with walking. This is the symptom of problems with pressure on your spinal cord.
- Neck bones become very tender (It may be the indication of bone problem).
ENT specialists Singapore prescribe pain killers to treat nonspecific neck pain. Paracetamol, anti-inflammatory pain killers, muscle relaxant, a strong pain killer are the common medications prescribed by Singapore ENT to treat nonspecific neck pains. Your ENT doctor may also prescribe a good posture, a firm supporting pillow, physiotherapy, etc to get relief from pain.
Singapore ENT doctor change the treatment pattern, if your pain becomes worse. Feeling numbness, persistent pins and needles in part of hand and arm, weakness, etc are the symptoms of serious problems. Doctor in Singapore will adopt some other pain relieving treatment techniques in such situations. Treatment for neck and shoulder pain depends on the cause. Most of the problems can be treated with physiotherapy. Remedial massage and osteopathy are the other treatment options.
Your doctor in Singapore clinic may also suggest some other treatment options, such as:
- Manipulation or mobilization of joints
- Relaxation therapy
- Postural retraining and exercise
- Specific exercise programs of strengthening and stretching
- Soft tissue massage
Your shoulder and neck are highly mobile. So, they are more prone to injury. Poor posture, arthritis, trauma are the common cause of neck pain. It can be also due to fractures, instability and stains. If you feel severe neck pain, consult your Singapore doctor immediately.