Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery (FESS)Procedure
The rigid nasal Sinus endoscopy is a small tool that looks like a silver pencil, four millimeters or less in diameter and has a light on the end. It has lenses with several angles to enable see all corners of the nostril. This enables the surgeon have a comprehensive view of the nose and sinuses. The examination checks all the crannies and nooks of the nose, thus showing the exact location where the bone deformities are. With this, we are able to make a plan for the right treatment.
1. The endoscope is passed through your nostrils with a local anaesthetic during the diagnosis.
2. It is also used during operation in theatre, using general anaesthetic.
3. It is mainly used in outpatient clinic during diagnosis and follow ups.
4. In theater most work is done under direct vision with a strong headlight. The endoscope with angles is used to see around the corners inside your nose.
However, the tool does not help see inside of the sinuses, unless the openings are enlarged. In order to have better view of the sinuses, CT scan is required.
This is a type of X-ray imaging which makes it possible for you to see the body clearer compared to x-ray. CT scan has the ability to split the image into thin layers, in order to pin point every point.
CT scanning has several limitations including:
1. It does not diagnose sinus problem, but offers information that can be interpreted by ENT specialist.
2. The scan only shows the condition of the sinuses and nose on the day it is taken.
3. In case you have had a head cold, the linings of the sinuses and nose will look abnormal.
4. If you get regular episodes of sinusitis, but you have not had one for some weeks the scan might look normal.
5. There is high risk of blindness as a result of damage of optic nerve during the surgical process.
A qualified radiologist will
1. Understand the kind of information that the ENT expert requires from the scanning process.
2. Ensure that the slices are carried out in the best way to give the information.
3. Give report in a focused and clinically relevant manner.
The best way the radiologist will understand what is needed is by getting regular feedback and discussing the cases with the surgeon. In addition, the radiologist keeps the surgeon informed with advances in imaging.
MRI scans are not as useful as CT because they do not show the detail of the fine bone. This is why it is used in rare conditions of sinus tumors.
How the operation is carried out
In most cases FESS operations are performed under general anaesthetic in the theater. This ensures that you get fully asleep within a few seconds. A plastic tube is put through your mouth into the windpipe to allow you to breath during the operation. No external cut is made because the surgery is performed through your nostrils.
1. A strong headlight and telescope is used to help view all the corners of your nostril.
2. The sinus openings are enlarged and anything that blocks the sinuses are removed using a specially designed fine bone, suction debriders, cutting instruments.
3. Procedures such as LASER vapourization and septoplasty are performed at the same time as FESS.
4. Stitches are self dissolving and internal.
5. The entire operation takes less than an hour.
6. At the end a pack of sponge dressing is put in each nostril for a few hours to soak the blood.
Treatment of Nose and Sinus Conditions Singapore
One of the main conditions that ENT specialist Singapore treats affects the nose and sinus. The conditions affect people from all ages and from all walks of life. Unfortunately, quite a number of people don’t realize they are suffering from ENT (ear, nose, and throat) conditions until the problem gets worse. The following are some conditions that need the attention of an ENT specialist:
1. Nose Allergy: – This is symbolic with frequent sneezing, runny nose, blocked nose and itching. It is normally caused by
allergens such as pollen, airborne pathogen, pet dander, fragrances and more.
2. Sinus infections: Sinuses are hollow membranes that are found in the nasal cavity (between the eyes and behind the cheekbone).They can be affected by fungi, germs, or bacteria.
3. Nasal Blockage: This condition occurs when nasal polyps (minute growths) are blocked or covered with foreign matter. It also affects the deviated nasal septum.
4. Nose bleeds: Another common condition treated by an ENT specialist in Singapore is bleeding nose and sinus. This may be caused by internal injuries, ruptured veins, or inflamed cavities.
5. Nose cancer: Cancer or the nose is a serious condition that consists of small growths or tumors growing inside the nasal area. The growths may affect breathing and can also spread to other regions.
6. Loss of smell: An ENT doctor Singapore also treats patients suffering from inability to smell. This can be a recurrent or chronic condition and is usually caused by damage to nerve endings and tissues.
7. Facial and sinus pain: People in Singapore also complain of pain in sinuses and nose. This may be due to an accident that ruptures the cavities or veins, or a nasal inflammation.
1. Nasal Video examination (nasoendoscopy): An ENT clinic Singapore uses special video equipment to examine the extent of the
injuries or inflammation.
2. Nasal suction and washouts: This procedure is used to remove substances that are blocking the cavities or sinuses.
3. Cautery for nose bleeds: An ENT doctor undertakes a procedure that treats nose bleed. The procedure heals any wounds or damaged nerves that cause the bleeding.
4. Nose Cancer Biopsy and Screening: An ENT clinic checks for tumors inside the nose and sinus and surgically removes the cancerous cells, or uses other procedures such as chemotherapy.
5. Ent Singapore uses radiofrequency to unblock or free up blocked nose.
6. Correction of deviated nasal septum is treated by identifying and correcting the underlying problem.
7. Endoscopic sinus surgery: also known as balloon sinuplasty, this procedure is used to cure nasal polyps and chronic sinus infections.
8. Immunotherapy is a popular sgh ENT treatment for allergies.
For the best treatment of nose and sinus problems it is recommended that you deal with a reputable and qualified ENT specialist in Singapore.